Sunday, April 10, 2016

[WATCH] What it Feels like to be Inside the Mighty Gatimaan Express.

The way I see train is entirely different. I'm not from the bunch of people who will write it down telling "Indian Railways has poor food," or "Indian Trains are unhygienic," instead I'm a kind of soul who will find for the trains which are maintained well and has good food to travel.

I'm a railfan. You can find more about what it is like to be a railfan by checking the link on the word railfan. As soon as I heard Gatimaan was going to be inaugurated, my feeling was nothing lesser than a fan's heart moments before his favorite hero's movie releases.

I had already traveled in Bhopal Shatabdi Express, which clocks 150 KMPH in the same section, however Gatimaan was something I had to do!

Myself and a friend had a plan to travel in it June, but due to certain changes in my personal life, I know I was going to be busy at that point of time with some other work. So, I roughly made a plan, on Tuesday, and somehow got it materialized.

Thursday: Dakshin Express
Friday: Journey.
Saturday: Arrival at 04:05 hours at Nizamuddin.
Saturday: NZM-AGC Gatimaan.

My mind had only this plan until the time I had booked the tickets.

With some hustle and bustle in office, I managed to book a Tatkal Ticket in Dakshin Express.

After I got it, I reached home, and then I made the return itinerary. It was soon evident that I had to fly back, given the time constrain I was given at home. So I chose 12625 Trivandrum Central-New Delhi Kerala Express between Agra and New Delhi, followed by 18:35 IndiGo to Hyderabad.

Everything got materialized, and at 04.20 hours on April 9, I found myself on Hazrat Nizamuddin Platform 4.

I got ready in the train itself, and I was looking for the option of fast forwarding those 200 odd minutes.

I was roaming around, and trains from destinations across India- Malwa Express, Chattisgarh Express, Bengaluru Rajdhani Express, Goa Express, Pune Duronto Express, Goa Sampark Kranthi Express, Tamil Nadu Express, Thirukkural Express, Karnataka Sampark Kranthi Express, Taj Express were busy.

In the meanwhile, I had some okay-ish Kachoris, washed down with a cup of tea.

The time had finally passed, as Gatimaan was announced on Platform 5. Taj Express was scheduled to depart on Platform 5 by 07:05, so it meant that Gatimaan will follow Taj Express.

I was in dilemma, hoping for no last moment platform changes, but then, the train hostess had already assembled on platform 5 with their heavy kits, which made it evident that there won't be any platform change.

Taj Express departed, and I was surprised to see the platform fully crowded. I asked my friends to check the availability, and Gatimaan was in Waiting list! This wasn't something I was looking for, considering a railfan has certain favorite seats in the coach, which will give the experience of a train ride to the maximum.

Looking at the coach layout, it was evident that I was either going to get the best one (facing the locomotive and the side which has down line) or the worst one (non track side, reverse pulling). I was hoping for the best to happen.



Honk of a train interrupted my thoughts, and BOOM! Gatimaan is here.

GZB WAP 5 #30007 Pulls the Gatimaan on the Platform!
As soon as rake was berthed, I found that my fate was bad and I got the worst possible seat in the coach. I was happy that I was able to get a window, considering there were huge number of people who didn't get even that!

Beautiful rail hostess welcomed us with a water bottle and welcome drink.

There were some selfies taken with the board and I had taken one such too :) .

People settled down with few seat exchanges, and the clock stuck 08.10 and the train departed. Loco pilots made their intention clear- "SMASH!!!"

As soon as the train cleared points- it was like a EMU/Local Train acceleration and we were already cruising at 120 KMPH within 2 KMs. Then there were few speed restrictions imposed near Faridabad, and the mighty Gatimaan was doing what everyone was waiting for- 160 KMPH.

Being a Railfan is always handy. You have all the tools you need!


Before I realized I was living my dream, we overtook a train between Chandigarh-Madgaon, "Goa Sampark Kranthi Express" at a remote station, "Asaoti," which is famous for high speed trains among railfans. I was awestuck at the sight- the way we overtook.

And in the very next station, a train from Shri Ganganagar to Howrah- "Udyan Abha Toofan Express" was brutally overtaken by Gatimaan!

While I was happy that we were given at most priority on the section, I was envious that I was missing out the fun from other side of the world. I videograph trains and Gatimaan is one such which I would definitely do it one day!

The beautiful hostess interrupted my romance with the Gatimaan, as she asked for my breakfast preference. "Vegetarian- South" I immediately respond. She hands over a tray and the food was not so impressive.

It wasn't so tasty, but the way it was served was decent.
I finish this at jet speed to make sure I get maximum out of this trip, and while eating this, we overtook some unknown train at some unknown location.



The next one to be gulped down by Gatimaan was Taj Express. It departed 65 minutes before Gatimaan, only to bow down to the mighty Gatimaan 113 Kilometers after Hazrat Nizamuddin.


And there was one more, awaiting Gatimaan to go ahead!

Train bound to the southern most tip of country- Thirukkural Express, was waiting for our train at Kosi Kalan.

It was unfortunate from the part of Thirukkural's passengers, as they could witness Gatimaan overtaking their train at just 90 KMPH, due to the speed restriction at the station.

We slowed down, and Gatimaan skipped Mathura Junction at the reduced speed, and as soon as we skipped Mathura, it was an EMU acceleration again! Within no time, Gatimaan accelerated to 160 KMPH and we were given the best preference in the biggest Rail Network on this planet!

Gatimaan ignored few remote Uttar Pradesh stations, and we decelerate at Billochpura, to meet the speed restriction at Raja ki Mandi, which is the penultimate station! After having observed the speed restriction, loco pilot gave one final acceleration, and BOOM, Gatimaan was taken into Agra Cantonment Platform 6 at 09.43 hours, 7 minutes ahead of its scheduled arrival.

If you get goosebumps when you see a train- make sure you have a ride in this wonderful train! Also, you may watch my collection of videos in my YouTube channel.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome yaar!!! One of the luckiest railfan in INDIA to travel in the majestic "GATIMAAN EXP"

    ReplyDelete
  2. superb writeup coupled with pics and videos, sort of virtual tour tempting us to take up Gatimaan ride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saar all my trips possible with blessings like you people. _/\_

      Delete
  3. tempting to the core.... (Y) Can't wait to get on board... BTW i will be on board next month.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same Day Agra Trip by Train (Gatimaan Express) is India's first semi-high speed train. The Best Train Delhi to Agra and Agra to Delhi. An amazing day trip to the city of Taj Mahal……Same Day Agra Tour by Gatimaan Express
    Thanks and best regards
    Manoj Sharma
    www.indiatripdesigner.com
    ☎+91-9837332533

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Admin...
    SaMi WoRld TraVel, Offers a Popular Same Day Agra Tour by Gatimaan Express, Same Day Taj Mahal Tour by Gatimaan Express Train, Same Day Agra Tour by Express Train.

    Same Day Taj Mahal Tour by Train
    Same Day Delhi Tour
    Same Day Jaipur Tour
    Sunrise Taj Mahal Tour By Car
    Sami World Travel
    +91-9358499757, 9837303930
    samiworldtravel@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete