Monday, November 4, 2013

Maiden Post- yes its about my favorite Locomotive- EMD GT46PAC aka WDP 4

I've been a rail-enthusiast right from my childhood and a place called "Krishna" is the place where I first saw something called "Train". In 2005-2006, whenever I visited that place- a new kind of locomotive used to come with the train I regularly board- Kurla Express. It used to either have a pentagon front or a electric engine style front. That particular locomotive used to have deadly honks in place of normal honks of diesel engines. At that time, Kurla Express had to switch two tracks to enter the platform and the train had to crawl at very low speed. Switching two tracks made the train look exactly like a snake- with a pentagon shaped head. I still remember- the loco pilot (LP) was giving a loud honk to all the people- everyone were getting ready to get into the train and grab their seats- meanwhile the people whom I came to see off got ready as well. Needless to say- One thousand and one hundred curses from all people to the LP because of maintaining so low speed, including me- yes I didn't knew about all the restrictions of speed back then.

In 2009, when I was coming back from Vishakapatnam, we had to choose Janmabhoomi Express between Anakapalle and Secunderabad. Back then, the train had electric locomotive assigned between Vishakapatnam and Tenali and diesel locomotive between Tenali and Secunderabad. After crossing Tenali, I found myself being pulled by a different kind of locomotive. Then I recollected it was similar model to something which I saw in Krishna. It has different sounds while comparing to normal ones. It produces a sound that actually sounds like a tiger roaring loud. It has deadly honks unlike the normal diesel locomotives.

After being a technical rail fan since 2010, I've learnt quite a lot about this locomotive. These are the locomotives manufactured by Electro-Motive Diesel- often abbreviated as EMD. First ten locomotives of this kind have come all the way from Canada, and these locomotives doesn't have healthy acceleration. 4,000 HP defines that it can pull 24 coaches (maximum number of coaches to any train on a typical day) at top speed of 120 KMPH provided the sectional speed has suitable maximum permissible speed. Although it has been successfully tested with 160 KMPH with 8 coach load. It has two ends- one is Short Hood Forward and the other is Long Hood Forward. In case if the cab in which LP and ALP sit in forward, then it is considered as Short Hood Forward and in case if they are sitting at the side of the coaches, then it is known as long hood forward. Short hood forward is the best loco pilots can get because they give them perfect view. On the other hand, Long Hood Forward gives a royal feel- a 21 meter bonnet is not something ordinary.

Face to face with EMD GT46PAC aka WDP4 homed at Krishnarajapuram.

I've been under its pull for numerous times and yes, it does have very bad acceleration. But once it picks up speeds, it can be a deadly beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment